Saturday, January 31, 2009

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE


I had given up on Animal Collective. And even after the release of this album (which I’ll give you in a minute), my dissatisfaction with their work remains. Their last two joints “Feels” and “Strawberry Jam” slipped on and off of my radar screen without a moment’s connection.

No need to scramble my mind military.

“Sir, we’ve got a bogey at 12 miles due west. Priming F-18s for intercept.”

No. Nothing there. Just sounded like “Fun With Loop Pedals starring Regis Philbin!” No heart. Just electronics.

The blip on my radar with this new one, “Merriweather Post Pavilion” isn’t as large as the album itself, but simply the size of a single song: the second track, “My Girls.”

Thing’s a fucking jamnation. It sliced into my brain like a warm knife through birthday cake. Once the slice was eaten, it planted little song seeds into the hole and sewed it up. After about a week, those little fuckers began hatching and messed up my whole existence.

I can’t stop thinking about that goddamn song. It’s taken over my days (and nights). When I’d normally wake up in a sweat after a dream-state sexual romp with a Celtics cheerleader (that really happened…awesome), I emerged from sleep with “whoos” and digital “clap-claps” and other monstrous groove-inducing mechanisms warping my dome.

When you first fall in love, she’s stuck in your head. You can’t stop thinking about her. It’s like a record stuck at the end of a side blipping as the needle skips. Yet, for some frightening reason, it sounds perfect.

I have fallen in love with this bitch of a song. And she’s on repeat.

Join the insanity:
Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavilion

4 comments:

Alex said...

your criticism of feels and strawberry jam doesn't hold up. give another chance to "purple bottle" on the former and "fireworks" on the latter. that knife will cut through your brain like room temp buttah.

a.kadin said...

your criticism of my criticism doesn't hold up.

the last time you told me to listen to it, i gave "strawberry jam" another go. Sounds like the sonic manifestation of having your balls stomped in by oxen.

Honestly though...it ain't bad.

It's just not that good. The pinnicle of loop-happiness. The advent of simple looping has created an entire genre of music focused on easy pleasure. a hook, on repeat. In this age of new motivation, pull your head of your asses and write a fucking song. A 10 second loop with reverb may bounce between your walls for a while, but it'll never be timeless.

love,
barbara ganouj.

Anonymous said...

just saw this and made me think of your post
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/02/the_animal_collective_debate.html

Unknown said...

Find more ANIMAL COLLECTIVE in my mp3blog and forum searches:
HERE
and
HERE